Saturday, November 20, 2010

Dwindling Time and a Mercator 30


The official end of the season for me comes December 6, when we have Surprise hauled out for the season. We left her in last year so we're due for some bottom work this off-season. Not sure what this off-season's project is going to be yet but I'm sure I'll be finding out soon.

Unless I buy a fixer-upper boat myself in which case, I'll have plenty of off-season work, but not on Surprise. I'm planning to look at another boat this Sunday. I'm really going with no expectations because I'm finding that's the best way to look at boats. It helps keep my eyes open I think.

Its a Mercator 30 down here in Maryland. I'll let you guys know how she looks. There isn't much info out there about Mercators. It appears that only 38 or so of them were made which makes it incredibly difficult to find out much about them. From what I've read, they are supposed to be great offshore boats. I'll let you know what I find out!

If you're interested, here are some links to Mercator 30 info:
Mercator Review
Mercator Specs
Mercator Description
Mercator Owner's Group
Mercator Blog

3 comments:

  1. I just purchased a 1975 offshore 30 anyone have any info on how well this boat will perform in rough weather ie west coast vancouver island and up to alaska

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup I own a Mark 2. Sailed across the Gulf from Seward to Seattle by way of Middleton to Cape Spenser. Really beautiful the first few days, until about 100 miles off Cape Spenser. Winds out of the east averaging 35kts seas 10-12’. We attached the autopilot and motored straight into it. Never doubted the abilities of the Mercator.
    Outside of Vancouver and Richmond BC we were in the trough probably 8’ers it was probably the most violent waters I’ve ever been in a small boat. If we were going to lose the riggings it would have been there. It handles heavy seas as easily as it does following. I love our Mercator. You won’t be disappointed!
    She is a relatively fast boat too.
    Just make sure you’re using good seamanship and your Mercator will more than match your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy and I owned a Mercator (Mark II, hull #5) for 20 years. Lived aboard her several of those years. She took us round-trip from Puget Sound to Alaska twice as well as from Puget Sound to Boston via the canal. A wonderful, reliable, cruiser. Our worst off-shore weather happened off Latin America where we found ouselves in the notorious "El Nortes" en route to Costa Rica. They turned an easy 7-day passage into a 10-day challenge. We never doubted the boat despite the rough ride .

    ReplyDelete