Thursday, May 6, 2010

RACE: Week 3


I don't know what it is, but I feel pretty good today; existentially speaking.

Personally, I think its because its been far too long since I've been sailing. Yesterday's race was only the second time this season. I've really been looking forward to, and planning on, going sailing a fair bit this summer but with moving down to DC, I'm not sure how often its going to happen. I just have to make more of an effort I suppose...

Anyhow, the race yesterday was great! Wind was all over the place with an average of 17-20 knots with the occasional gusts up to 35! It was roaring something fierce. We had a full crew on and a new guy (to the boat, not to sailing) from the Naval Academy who is pretty good at foredeck and was able to help me out. I'm not your worst choice at foredeck and I'm still learning. The new guy Drew is definitely going to be a good teacher. The good thing is that this year, I actually feel like I know what I'm doing when it comes to putting up and taking down the spinnaker...mostly. It was a long race but had some excitement with the wind being as brisk as she was. At one point, we were hard over with about 2 inches of the starboard gunwale in the water, trying to take down the spin and I lost my footing and had to quickly grab the mast with my right hand while keeping the spinnaker in the boat with my left while regaining my footing by standing on one of the starboard shrouds. I caught myself which at least kept me from falling into the jib, and seconds later, the water.

Nothing like a little action to liven up the work week!

I'm pretty sure we came in last, probably on corrected time as well but it was our first race of the season and I was just glad to be out there racing, having fun, and throwing back a few cold ones with some great guys. And since it was Cinco de Mayo yesterday and I really need a Mexican battle to justify drinking, I rounded out the evening with a few Dos Equis at my local cantina.


No comments:

Post a Comment