Friday, March 12, 2010

Transpac 2011

Since Tuesday when I read on Tom's Sailing Blog that the Transpacific Yacht Club has hoisted the Notice of Race for the Transpac Race in 2011 (its under Race Documents on the left side), I have been busy reading it and trying to figure out exactly what I would need to compete in the race. I want to say I thought about it a bit, but really I read about the race and said "Yes. Now what do I need?"

There wasn't really a lot of debate.

See, while I have done a bit of racing, I've never really had to deal with the minor details and technicalities of the whole thing. I've never had to get my boat inspected, get an ORR (Offshore Racing Rule) certificate [explained by US Sailing here] or apply for a PHRF rating; all of which stem from not having my own boat. I'm not a member of US Sailing which I'm pretty sure I'll be joining soon since it looks like if you ever really want to race past high school level on your own boat, you kinda need to be a member.

I really want the experience that comes with having to worry about the minor details since I plan to do a lot more racing & sailing. Additionally, I don't want to have to pin my hopes on sailing this thing, on finding space as crew on someone else's boat. I'm still waiting to hear anything for the Bermuda Ocean Race (BOR - Annapolis to Bermuda) and you'd be surprised at how no one seems to need crew.

Pouring over these rules and regulations, looking at the date of the Transpac 2011 has really kicked my boat searching into...well atleast medium gear. Looking at and thinking about all the things that need to be accomplish can really bring you down. To race in this thing, the first thing I would need is a boat. Second, I need a place to keep the boat. Third, I need boat insurance. Fourth, I need time to fix up the boat since, lets be honest, the boat I buy is going to have to be a real fixer-upper. And most of all, I really need funds to finance this plan of mine, not to mention at least a month off of work next year.

It's a lot to overcome but where there's a will, there's a way. And I want this.

BTW does anyone have a 30'-35' sailboat they are looking to get rid of?

No comments:

Post a Comment