Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Let's Get Out of Here

So one of the other great things about sailing last Wednesday (aside from just being out on the water!) was I was able to talk to Andrew, our bowman. Andrew is 28(?), finishing up a teaching stint at the Naval Academy (he’s a graduate) and is getting ready to go cruising with his wife.

We got to talking and it was pretty interesting how similar our future plans were. He was at the end of a 5 year plan with his wife and they are planning on setting off on a 28 ft Cape Dory come spring.

SIDENOTE: The Cape Dory is one of the boats that I have been looking at and Andrew said he’d basically redesigned the interior. Stock, the boat comes with the galley and engine all crammed and crowded around the gangway. Andrew has redesigned it so you aren’t stepping onto the food being prepared as you come into the cabin; which I thought was a smart decision. I am still considering the Cape Dory but that was definitely one of my concerns – the layout.

Anyhow…We talked a bit about boats (as you can tell) and plans. Mine  (and Girlfriend’s) current plan is to buy a boat, move onto it, SAVE, refit and outfit and then set off in about 2 ½ years.

Recently though I read the Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss. I picked it up on a whim right before my flight to New Orleans this past weekend and read the whole thing before I got back. It certainly changed my perspective on what is possible and its definitely worth buying if you’re not completely satisfied with your job and the lifestyle it affords you. For a guy who can’t wait to get out on the water and go travel the world, this book was basically a manual of how to do it. It shows you how to get out of the 9-5 drudgery and travel the world, even if you don’t quit your job. Really interesting stuff. I give a very high personal recommendation. FYI, I bought the expanded version and it seems to have more tools and examples than the original.

This has gotten me thinking about maybe going sooner and different possible ways to finance such a trip. We’ll have to see though.

BTW, tonight will be my 200th day on the water that can go towards my Captain’s license!

BTW 2: I’m starting my own website, www.peterfblack.com, but it doesn’t have anything up there yet so its not worth visiting now but I’m going to change that soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment