Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Luck of the Irish


I love St. Patrick's Day.

I have for as long as I can remember but I really developed a fondness for it when I could drink on St. Patrick's Day.

The problem is that not everyone is really up for going out on St. Patrick's Day since it tends to fall in the middle of the week; or at least has for the past few years. This ranks pretty high on the lame scale so, in response, I tend to enjoy St. Patrick's Week. This runs from Mardi Gras (today - Fat Tuesday) to the weekend after March 17th (more like 2 weeks but still...). This allows me plenty of time to get any neceesacry work done, and still hang out still signing Irish folk songs like Black Velvet Band and Wild Rover at the bar.

So this year, the plan is to have all my law school applications in by the end of this week; I'm hoping for Thursday. In honor of Mardi Gras, tonight, I'm going to 9:30 Club here in DC with a friend of mine to see the Pogues on their farewell tour. Should be some pretty good stuff. One of their songs is a personal favorite that is on my current sailing mix and I thought you all would enjoy.



After I get all the applications turned in, I'll be making some noise this weekend at the Shamrock Fest '11 where one of my all-time favorite Irish bands, The Dropkick Murphys, will be playing. With any luck, I'll also be making it up to see This The Rescue, a friend's band playing up in Towson that same night.


And on St. Patrick's Day, I'll probably try to get to our neighborhood Irish pub before it gets packed and enjoy me some Guinness.

So wish me luck on these applications! Its going to be a long couple of nights.

PS: Beware the Ides of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment